Dean of MISB Bocconi
SDA Bocconi Professor of Organization & Human Resources Management
Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, India, June 2000 – May 2005
Fellow of IIM Ahmedabad (Ph.D)
KarnatakaRegionalEngineeringCollege, Surathkal, August 1987 – July 1991
B.E, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Division: 1st
Professor Himanshu Rai, Dean MISB Bocconi, is an educationist – an alumnus of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA). Prior to this, he taught PG and Doctoral students at the Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow (IIML). His core area is Human Resource Management, wherein he focuses on Negotiation, Mediation, Arbitration, Strategic HRM, and Leadership. He frequently conducts training program and workshops for executives as well as bureaucrats. He has earlier taught in the HR area at XLRI Jamshedpur.
Before joining the academia, armed with an engineering degree (B.E., Electrical) from KREC, Surathkal, he had been with Tata Steel for more than eight years, where he played a pivotal role in developing Quality Systems for his departments and the Communication Policy of the company.
He works on the principle that academics cannot afford to limit its reach and effect on young minds only to the development of skills and training relevant to the demands of the market economy; it must enrich the individual, to the greater aim of serving the society. He has developed a unique, creative approach to teaching, with the introduction of courses such as FIRE (Framing Identities and Roles through Exploration) and JEM (Justice, Ethics, and Morality). These courses are aimed at helping students become more inquisitive, more open, and more aware.
He indulges western philosophy, and prides himself on his Indian roots. He is well-versed in Sanskrit and takes great pleasure in delving into Vedic texts and other Indian scriptures – particularly the Mahabharata, in order to gather philosophical insights.
From this point of view, he also delivers motivational talks at organizations and among the youth, drawing from the wisdom of the East and the scientific approach of the West.
His research focuses on various aspects of the society such as negotiation, human resource development, gender equity, spirituality, psychology, development, inter-cultural relations, etc.
He also nurtures wide-ranging personal interests: yoga, mountaineering, reading, writing, music, and theatre. He blogs on topics and issues close to his heart and also runs a Q & A section (Ask HimanshuRai) on his website.
Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow, India, (currently on Leave) Associate Professor (October 2009 to August 2014), Assistant Professor (August 2006 – October, 2009) (IIMs are ranked among the top B-Schools in the World)
- Designed and developed the course outline, course material and methodology, and teachingthe following courses:
- Human Resource Management (MBA Core Course)
- Behavior in Organizations (MBA Core Course)
- Communication for Management (MBA Core Course)
- International Business Communication (IPMX Core Course)
- Strategic Business Negotiations (MBA Elective)
- Leadership through Literature (MBA Elective)
- Framing Identities and Roles through Exploration (MBA Elective)
- Training & Development (GMP Elective)
- Advanced Research Methodology (Doctoral Program)
- Spearheaded the executive programs team as the Chairperson, Management Development Programme, of IIM Lucknow. The IIM Lucknow MDP trains over 1200 executives every year through over a 100 programs of durations ranging from 3 days to one year.
- Conducted the Common Admission Test (CAT) 2010 for the Indian Institutes of Management asConvener for CAT-2010 and successfully achieved critical success parameters better than global benchmarks.
- Coordinated all internal & external communications of IIM Lucknow as Chairperson, Corporate Communications & Media Relations from 2011 to 2013.
- Coordinated Common Admission Test (CAT) and admissions at IIM Lucknow as the Chairperson, Admissions from 2009 to 2011.
- Coordinated activities of the HRM area as the Chairperson, HRM Group from 2009 to 2011.
- Conceived, developed and conducted Management Development Programs for working executives (including in-company programs) on Strategic Business Negotiations, Advanced Research Methodology for Social Sciences, Decision Makingand Effective Communication.
XLRI Jamshedpur, Asst. Professor, India, June 2005 – August 2006 (XLRI is ranked as the top B-School in Human Resource Management in India)
- Developed the course outline and methodology, and taughtthe following core courses toPG students (regular MBA and Satellite Program):
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Human Resource Planning
- Conceived, developed and conducted Management Development Programs for working executives (including in-company programs) on Negotiation Skills and Written and Oral Communication Skills.
- Presided over the XLRI Campus Club, the faculty body overseeing social and cultural initiatives of the institute.
- Designed and developed the vision and implementation plan for the institute’s Satellite Program as a member of the Satellite Program team.
- Designed and developed the vision and implementation plan for the institute’s Entrepreneurship Program as a member of the Entrepreneurship and Incubation Cell team.
Tata Steel, Jamshedpur, India (Graduate Trainee – Senior Officer – Asst. Manager), October 1991 – April 2000 (Tata Steel is World’s 5th largest Steel Company)
- Spearheaded a Quality initiative, leadingcross functional teams to design and develop ISO 9000 systems for Quality Assurance, Project and Corporate Communications Divisions over a period of 4 years.
- Ledan engineering team, commissioning the electrics for US$ 200 million, 2-million ton Steel Melting Shop, with outstanding results.
- Led an engineering maintenance team of 25 people as the Sectional Head of Electrical Operations Division of the 1-million ton Steel melting shop, with consistently outstanding results.
- Conceived, developed and disseminated the “Communication Policy” for Tata Steel.
- Conducted pre-certification audits for various Departments of Tata Steel as a Trained Quality Auditor.
- Designed and developed Tata Steel’s Intranet Website and Audio-Visual Studio for its own Cable TV Channel.
- Strategic Consultancy for Planning Commission of India.
- Manpower Evaluation of UP State Transport Corporation, Govt. of U.P.
- Designing HRM systems for contract employees of UPSRT, Govt. of U.P.
- Restructuring of Metal Handicraft Service Centre, Moradabad to make it a Centre of Excellence, Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India.
- Designed and developed the Strategic HRM Systems, and rationalized the Promotion Policy for the Indira Gandhi RashtriyaUdaan Academy (IGRUA) (2007).
- Developed the blueprint for “Functional Autonomy” of National Sugar Institute, India, one of the premier institutes in the world imparting training to scientific personnel for the services of Sugar and Allied industry in India (2006-2007).
- Designed, conducted and prepared a Baseline Survey Report for the villages of Gujarat, India, in association with International Finance Corporation as a Short Term Temporary Consultant with the World Bank (2005-2006).
- Consulted with the SEWA Trade Facilitation Centre, the trade wing of Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA), India, in association with International Finance Corporation. Developed and designed the Strategic Plan and the related Action Plan for its effective functioning and fund generation. The plan has since been successfully implemented (2004).
Scholarly Papers (Peer Reviewed)
- Shukla, A & Rai, H. (Forthcoming). Interactive Effects of Psychological Capital and Perceived Support in Developing Trust and Commitment among Indian IT Executives. Employment Relations Record, 14(2).
- Sekera, N and Rai, H. (2014). Women Power Line 1090: Women Empowerment in Action, Monograph (Forthcoming)
- Rai, H. (2014). An Exploratory Study on the Morphology and Measurement of Spirituality: Development of a Scale. International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management, 8(4), 459-472.
- Rai, H (2013). Empowering your Conscience. Complete Wellbeing, 8(2), 87-88.
- Rai, H and Singh, M. (2013). A Study of Mediating Variables of the Relationship between 360-degree Feedback and Employee Performance. Human Resource Development International, 16(1), 56-73.
- Rai, H. (2013). The Measurement of Negotiating Ability: Evidence from India. Global Journal of Business Research, 7(4), 109-125.
- Rai, H. (2012). Leadership Styles. Cascade, 19(2), 7-9
- Kumar, M, Singh, S, Rai H, and Bhattacharya A. (2012). Measuring Humane Orientation of Organizations through Social exchange and Organizational Identification Facilitation and Control of Burnout and Intention to Quit. International Journal of Organizational Theory and Behavior, 15(4), 520-547.
- Rai, H. (2012). Book Review. Samuel Paul: A life and its lessons: Memoirs. Samuel Paul. Metamorphosis, 10 (2), 101-105.
- Rai, H (2011). Leadership through Literature. Good to Great: Ideas, Imagination & Innovation, LBSNAA. 25-29.
- Rai, H (2010). HRIS: Issues and Implications. Gitam Journal of Management, 8(1), 194-200.
- Kumar, M, Rai, H, and Pati, S.P. (2009). An Exploratory Study on Negotiating Styles: Development of a Measure. Vikalpa, 34(4), 37-49.
- Rai, H (2009). Business Education-Motivation to Learn-Knowledge and Skills Transfer Linkage. Indian Journal of Training & Development, 39(1), 21-29.
- Rai, H (2009). Strategic Human Resource Management: Issues and Effects. Evolution, 1(1), 20-24.
- Rai, H (2009). Gender Differences: Ingratiation and Leader Member Exchange (LMX) Quality. Singapore Management Review, 31(1), 63-72.
- Rai, H (2008). Political Dynamics and Employee Relationship Management. Journal of Indian Management and Strategy, 13(4), 40-43.
- Rai, H and Kothari, J (2008). Recruitment Advertising and Corporate Image: Interface between Marketing and Human Resources. South Asian Journal of Management, 15(2), 47-60.
- Rai, H and Wadhwa, C (2008). Effect of Employer Branding on Recruitment Communication Media: Perception of Graduating Students. Pratibimba, 8(2), 45-53.
- Rai, H. (2008). Managing Trade Unions at the Firm Level and the Dynamics of Collective Bargaining, Indian Journal of Industrial Relations, 44(1), 117-129.
- Rai, H and Kulkarni, V. (2008). How Close Can You Get-The Effect of Proxemics on LMX.Icfaian Journal of Management Research, 7(9), 7-15.
- Rai, H. (2008). Disputes and Dispute Resolution: The Effect of Union Density on Employee Intention to Quit-an Indian Study. Management &Labour Studies, 33(2) 290-300.
- Rai, H (2008). Factors affecting Promotion: Age, Gender and Mentorship. Pragyan: Journal of Management, 6(1), 1-6.
- Rai, H. (2007). Dispute Handling Capability: Morphology and Modalities-Development of a Model. Management &Labour Studies,32(2), 183-202.
- Kaul, A., Ansari, M., and Rai, H. (July 2006). Gender, Affect and Upward Influence. Journal of Asia Entrepreneurship and Sustainability, 2(1), 2-31.
- Rai, H. (2005). The Role of Hinduism in Global India and her Business Ethics.In Capaldi, N, (Eds.), Business and Religion: A Clash of Civilizations?,Salem, MA:M&M Scrivener Press. 379-389.
- Rai, H. (2005). The Emerging World Trade Regime, Social Clause and Implications for Employee Relations Management. In Chawla, K.N., (Eds.), Enhancing Global Business Competitiveness, Delhi: Wisdom Publications. 160-175.
- Rai, H. (2004). Book Review. Negotiated Change: Collective Bargaining, Liberalization and Restructuring in India. C.S. Venkataratnam. Vikalpa, 29 (3), 155-157.
Conference Publications (Refereed)
- Rai, Himanshu. 2011. “An exploratory-formulativestudy of measurement of negotiating ability: Development of a scale.”Proceedings of 2nd Bangkok International Forum on Indigenous Management Practices (BIFIMP) 28-31 August 2011, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Rai, Himanshu. 2008. “An exploratory-formulativestudy of measurement of negotiating ability.”Proceedings of 15th Annual South Dakota International Business Conference, Rapid City, South Dakota, USA.
- Rai, Himanshu. 2007. “An exploratory study on the morphology and measurement of spirituality.” Proceedings of the AGBA-AAM Joint World Congress, Penang, Malaysia, 2007.
- Rai, Himanshu and Kothari, Jaya. 2006. Recruitment Advertising and Corporate Image: Interface between Marketing and Human Resources. Proceedings of 3rdAIMS International Conference on Management, India.
- Rai, Himanshu. 2005. Dispute Handling Capability: Morphology and Modalities-Development of a Model. Proceedings of Second International Biennale on Negotiation, Paris
- Rai, Himanshu. 2005. The DNA Model: Developing Negotiating Ability with the 5-Dimensional Dispute Handling Capability Framework-Measurement, Theory, Behavioral Pattern Analysis, Role Play, ScenarioBuilding, Feedback and Coaching. Proceedings of Harvard PON-ESSEC IRENE negotiation pedagogy conference, ESSEC, Paris
- Rai, Himanshu. 2004. Hinduism, Business and Ethics. Proceedings of 2004 International and Ecumenical Conference of the Institute for Ethics and Spirituality in Business, New Orleans, US.
- Rai, Himanshu. 2004. The Battle of Sexes-Ingratiation, Gender and LMX. Proceedings of 2nd AIMS International Conference on Management, India.
- Rai, Himanshu and Kulkarni, Vaibhavi. 2004. How Close Can You Get-The Effect of Proxemics on LMX. Proceedings of 2nd AIMS International Conference on Management, India.
- Member, HRD Advisory Council, Powergrid Corporation India Limited.
- Member, Board of Studies, Central University, Kashmir; DIT University, Dehradun and Uttarakhand Sanskrit University.
- Member, Steering Committee, CMAT, AICTE.
- Participant of the Harvard Global Colloquium on participant-centred learning.
- Past member of Editorial Review Board for South Asian Journal of Global Business Research (Emerald Publications)
- Reviewer for Human Resource Development International, a scholarly peer-reviewed journal
- Reviewer for Inderscience journals
- Reviewer for African Journal of Business Management, a scholarly peer-reviewed Journal
- Reviewer for IIMB Management Review, a scholarly peer-reviewed Journal.
- Reviewer for Metamorphosis (IIM Lucknow), a scholarly peer-reviewed Journal.
- Reviewer for Sage Publications, and Cengage Learning India Pvt. Ltd India.
- Member of Executive Councilof Lucknow Management Association.
- Member of High Level Advisory Committee, Cooperative Societies, Govt. of UP, India.
- Member of the Interview and Group Discussion Panel for selection of Probationary Officers for State Bank of India (2005-2007).
‘We Should Generate New Knowledge From Our Scriptures’ – Dr. Himanshu Rai Interviewed by Sakaal Times on February 8th, 2015. Click here to read the article
‘Leaders should learn from Mahabharata’ – Dr. Himanshu Rai Interviewed by Hans India on 3rd february, 2015.Click here to read the article
‘Wisdom of Vedic Literature, the practical way forward’ – Dr. Himanshu Rai Interviewed by the Indian Express on 3rd February, 2015. Click here to read the article
In my negotiation course, I take my students to a mall to negotiate with strangers.
Dr. Himanshu Rai interviewed by InsideIIM.com on 12th November 2014. Click here to read the article
MISB Bocconi is entrepreneurial and a bigger laboratory to experiment as compared to IIM Lucknow.
Dr. Himanshu Rai interviewed by InsideIIM.com on 12th November 2014. Click here to read the article
Indians put in 1-4 hours a week for GRE, Chinese 20
The Times of India, 4th November 2014 Click here to read the article
Himanshu Rai to head MISB Bocconi
Business Standard, 15th October 2014 Click here to read the article
Dr. Himanshu Rai appointed as Dean of MISB Bocconi India Campus
Career360.com, 24th September 2014 Click here to read the article
IIMA’s ex-Fellow appointed Dean at Italian varsity’s India Campus
The Indian Express, 16th September 2014 Click here to read the article